Good morning! Kevin and I are headed back to the USA today! When this post goes up we’ll be somewhere over the Atlantic. We’re so excited for our last guest post, though!
I know Carissa from church and love her blog! She has an adorable son and writes about being a mommy, DIY, and a little bit of everything else. Check out her blog, Hooked on the Howards!
First of all, Thank you Jess and Kevin for all of your tips and tricks when it comes to DIY! I think I speak for everyone when I say you inspire me to get projects done around my house.
When we moved into our house, we had absolutely no furniture in our guest room, office, dining room or what is now Landry’s room. We have slowly started working on each room in our house. We’ve painted (a little) and bought some furniture. One of my New Year’s goals
was to finish the guest bedroom. So today I would like to show you the new window treatment!
Here is the before picture.
It’s not bad, but I wanted it to be cuter and more inviting. We had the curtains from our apartment, so we just hung them in there. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the curtains are tan and the bed spread is yellow, so they don’t match at all!
- Spray adhesive
- Fabric of your choice (measure your window to find out how much you will need 1yd = 3ft)
- Batting of some kind (I bought fake snow that you would lay on a table around Christmas time. I got it after Christmas for 75% off. It worked perfect for what I needed)
- Plywood – we used .25″ thick plywood, but the hubby said it was hard to cut because it splintered. So if you can get thicker plywood, I recommend it.
- Heavy duty stapler
Measure your window and cut the wood. Make sure you account for the wall between the edge of the cornice board and the window. If you cut it too short you won’t have any over hang.
We attached the side we used 2X4s as our sides. We also cut one at a diagonal so to allow us to hang it (more on that later).
Cut the batting, make sure you leave some for overlap so you can staple it.
Go outside and spray the wood and the batting. Put a nice thick layer on, then wait a few minutes for it to get tacky. Every spray is different, so read the instructions to know how long to wait.
Once both piece are tacky, put them together and bring them inside.
Lay the fabric pattern side down. Make sure everything is lined up straight. (I was using a chevron pattern I had to line everything up and make sure it was straight. If you are using other fabrics you might not have to do that.)
Start Stapling. We saved the corners for last and got the sides done first. Remember you can always add more staple, but it is very hard to remove them without ripping the fabric. So less is more in the beginning.
The corners, there really is no easy way.
Hang. This is where our diagonal cut comes into play. I did not want to screw or nail through the fabric, so my husband (being the genuis that he is) screwed one board cut at a diagonal to the board before we started and the other to the wall cut at the opposite angle. This way all we had to do set them on top of each and the board slid towards the wall and stayed.
Here is the after picture! I love how it turned out! (I used the leftover fabric to make a decorative pillow to tie the whole look together.)
Before and After: