Good morning! Today Kevin and I are taking in all that Rome has to offer. We’re planning on heading to the Basilica of St. Paul-Outside-The-Walls and visiting it’s chocolate making monks, then heading a little ways away to tour a catacomb!
I’m so excited for today’s guest blogger, Kristen from Popcorn on the Stove! She was one of my very first bloggy buddies and I’ve really enjoyed watching she and Joe make their NYC apartment(s) home over the last two years (wow, has it really been that long?!). When you’re done here today check out POTS for everything from book reviews and vegetarian (and not) recipes to awesome DIY and indoor gardening!
Hi everyone! My name is Kristen and I blog over at Popcorn on the Stove. I’m very excited to be guest posting today on Little House Big Heart because this blog is one of my daily reads 🙂
After watching Jess and Kevin transform their backyard, I developed a bit of backyard envy. Joe and I currently rent so the backyard we have are shared with the renters of three other apartments. That means that we can’t do anything major here, but a girl can dream, right? Below are some of our must haves for our future backyard:
1) When I imagine our future backyard, I imagine an outdoor sectional like this one from Target where all of our friends and family can hang out on. I love that there’s an ottoman in this set that will provide extra seating when needed – plus, the cushions are in a neutral so I’ll be able to use different throw pillows for extra pops of colors or seasonal decor (like stars and stripes for the Fourth of July).
2) Growing up, we would have family reunions at my aunt and uncle’s house in the Catskills. It was in a secluded area so there was a lot family bonding time. One of my favorite activities was roasting marshmallows around a fire pit. No matter how many mosquitos were biting me, I would stay out there until we ran out of marshmallows. I’d like to get our own fire pit like this CobraCo Cast Iron Copper fire pit from Home Depot. I think the copper will look great outside, and I like that it’ll be moveable.
3) One of Joe’s must-have items is a hammock so I went on the hunt. My favorite option is this Quilted Sunbrella Hammock from L.L. Bean. I love that it’s reversible so you can have the stripe or solid green side up – it’s sort of like getting two for one. Another bonus is that this hammock is quilted, so that means it’ll be extra comfortable.
4) Clear Globe Lights (like these lights from Target, which are what Kevin & Jess have). I love the look of them so they are definitely a must have!
5) Another piece that we’d like to have in our backyard is a Weber Charcoal grill like this one I found on Amazon. We currently have a small one, but it would be nice to have a taller option. Another bonus is that since it’s wheels, we can move it around and keep it out of the way.
6) As soon as we get a backyard, I’m going to start planning out a garden. I’m going to have all of my favorite herbs but expand it to have a ton of fruits and veggies. Along those lines, I’d like to invest in a lemon tree and Joe would like to invest in a fig tree. We’re not sure where we’re going to settle down (and that will determine what trees we actually can get) but it’s nice to plan. One option would be to get a Meyer Lemon tree from Four Winds Growers. This one is already in a pot so I could keep it indoors during the winter.
So, let’s hear it – did you get backyard envy after Kevin & Jess unveiled their progress? Were you caught daydreaming about your ideal backyard? What are you must haves?