Hi everyone, it’s the Hubs again for another edition of Handyman Wednesday. It’s that time of year again. Time to start paying attention to your yard, killing the bugs, and fertilizing the grass. If you own grass and don’t fertilize, you need to definitely consider it. The investment is relatively small (especially if you just laid $600 in sod like we just did).
1. Spreader: I like this model from Scotts. It has an “Edge Guard” knob so I only spread fertilizer straight and left. This way, it doesn’t get in my flower beds and kill plants.
2. Weed and Feed: This is simply the nutrients to help your grass thrive mixed with weed killer to kill all the bad stuff. Don’t get it in your flower beds though, or you can kiss them goodbye. We got a kind with Fire Ant killer mixed in too!
3. Old pair of shoes (you don’t want to get the fire ant killer on your feet)
4. Watering hose
1. Set the spreader pouring speed by turning the knob on the back. If you buy Scotts weed and feed and a Scotts Spreader, it should have the recommended setting. Our setting was 4-1/2. Also turn on the “Edge Guard” on the front of the spreader.
2. Fill the spreader with the weed and feed. My bag covered 5000 square feet, so I used about half a bag on my front yard.
3. Pull handle and walk around yard. It’s that simple.
4. You’re done. Turn your sprinkler system on for about 15 minutes, making sure to cover the entire area.
Or, if you’re like me and don’t want to waste water: wait until the evening before a rain. I remember my dad always running outside when it started to sprinkle and fertilizing the yard. Trust me, you want to do this if you want a pretty yard…and it’s a good excuse to add an awesome spreader to your garage.
Do you fertilize? When one of our friends found out we were fertilizing last night and couldn’t hang out, she thought we were trying to make a baby (we are not trying yet). If someone leads but no one follows… are they just out for a walk? Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks? How do you know if honesty is the best policy unless you’ve tried some of the others? If the FBI breaks your door down do they have to pay for it?